Whether you have a small business with 5-10 vehicles or a large fleet, a geofence can be advantageous. In this article, you will learn about Geofencing and it’s benefits to vehicle owners. Integrating geofencing into your GPS tracking solution is a simple and cost-effective way to transform your fleet management.
Geofencing entails digitally creating virtual boundaries or zones while using a GPS fleet tracking solution like YoGPS. These virtual boundaries or digital zones are known as Geofences. Fleet managers can define multiple Geofences around specific geographical areas. A geofence can be few meters or as extensive as several kilometers, depending on the requirements.
This feature is essential for fleet managers to monitor vehicle’s activity and driver productivity.
How Does Geofencing Work?
The functionality of geofencing relies on the GPS capabilities of GPS Trackers. When a vehicle enters or exits a Geofence, the tracking device (GPS Trackers) in the vehicle detects the location by connecting with multiple GPS Satellites. It sends this location to the geofencing software using cellular towers. The software then triggers predetermined actions, such as sending a notification, displaying targeted ads, or updating a database.
To further understand, let us look at one of the real life use case scenario. A landscaping company’s owner has GPS Trackers in their vehicles. Using, YoGPS mobile app, the owner has created a Geofence around Job Site A.
As soon as the vehicle enters Job Site A, the owner gets ‘Enter geofence’ notification on the phone. When the vehicle exits Job Site A, an alert ‘Exit geofence’ is sent to the owner’s smart phone. The owner is now able gauge the time spent on Job Site A and the timeliness of their employee. The owner has peace of mind knowing that the materials in the vehicle is protected against theft.
Benefits of Geofencing
Geofencing offers several benefits to your fleet, including:
- Optimize routes: Set geofences around restricted areas, no-go zones, or faster routes to avoid unnecessary detours and delays.
- Automate timekeeping: Log driver arrival and departure times automatically at job sites, warehouses, or designated stops, streamlining payroll and reducing manual work.
Improved safety and security:
- Prevent unauthorized use: Set geofences around restricted areas and receive alerts if vehicles enter or leave outside of permitted hours.
- Faster theft recovery: Instantly receive alerts if a vehicle or asset leaves a designated area without authorization, aiding in swift recovery efforts.
- Improved communication: Send messages or receive alerts directly to drivers within specific zones, streamlining communication and coordination.
- Data-driven insights: Analyze geofence data to identify areas for improvement, optimize routes further, and make informed decisions.
How do you set up Geofencing?
Setting Geofences in the YoGPS mobile app is simple. Just follow the steps below:
- Login into YoGPS mobile app in your smart phone
- Click on Settings in the app
- Click on Geofence
- Click on + Sign or Add
- Zoom in on the map or write the address in the search box
- Select Geofence Shape from Circle, Polygon or Polyline. Circle is the most popular
- Tap on the map once to create the virtual perimeter. Adjust the radius by using the slider.
- In case of polygon, tap on the map 4 times to define the boundary. Tip: A Polyline is used to mark the routes not to define an area.
- Type a geofence name of your choice.
- Click Create. Tip: You may click on the Satellite icon on bottom left and define the area of your choice using the satellite mode.
- Select the devices to assign the geofence to
- Click Save
Video Tutorial: How to create a Geofence?
Click on the YoGPS YouTube Video Tutorial to see the above steps
Ready to unlock the power of geofencing?
Geofencing is a powerful tool for businesses to boost productivity, optimize operations, and enhance security. By leveraging the capabilities of geofencing technology responsibly and ethically, you can unlock its full potential to create more connected communities.
As technology continues to evolve, the capabilities of geofencing will improve. Advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and data analytics will enable businesses to harness the full potential of geofencing for predictive analytics and seamless automation.
For any questions on Geofencing, email firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will gladly assist you.